Getting Started - First Full Day at the Camp.
I normally get asked questions about what “it’s” like. In this case, “it” can be just about anything. So, this one is for Tim H.
Our sleeping quarters are four man tents with a gas fired tent heater in the middle of the tent. Our offices are in tents too. The Showers are temporary shelters made out of fiberglass material, similar to an 18 wheeler’s trailer. The latrines are improved port-a-johns. The mess hall looks like a double wide trailer and has really small tables. I think they would be about the right size if we were in Kindergarten. We have a “Small PX” which has the basic knick-knacks that a soldier needs: personal hygiene items, chips, soda pop, Red Bull, and a sundry of other items. Our camp area has an MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) center. One item to note on the MWR is that the MWR doesn’t have an outside telephone system attached to it. In fact, there aren’t any AT&T booths with phone banks like I’ve experienced in Iraq.
Today we had our first meetings with our Japanese counter parts. They went well and I thought the Japanese army was extremely professional and well prepared. They were very polite and asked a lot of clarifying questions during our initial operations brief. I noticed that a few of the Japanese soldiers had masks on. I’m not sure why they are wearing them but I’ve noticed that a few civilians ware them also. I’ll post more on this in later.
As usual, I’ve been moved from what I was supposed to be working on. I came into the exercise as a “mission analyst” which means “no responsibility.” Instead, I’m now the Deputy G-7. No worries, I can handle Information Operations, but I was hoping to have fewer responsibilities this time and be able to concentrate more on my surroundings.
So there you go Tim. I hope this helped.

Bob,
ReplyDeleteI hope that you have adapted to the time change by now. Thanks for the updates. I cannot remember exactly where you are in Japan, could you please let me know? I assume it is a metropolitan area by the picture and your comments is that correct?
Did you read the new book out "Broken", Mike mentioned it in his sermon a couple of weeks ago.
Your are in my prayers, yours in Christ,
Norm S.
Bob, nice blog. This is the first blog I have followed so you are setting my expectations :)
ReplyDeleteHope everything is going well for you. Looking forward to future postings.
Take Care, Tom O