Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 8 - Going Kinetic

Our op tempo (also known as operations tempo) just got kicked up a notch. Things are going hot and heavy in our exercise.  I gave my first Bi-lateral briefing.   I thought it was going to be a quick easy briefing.  However, it took longer than I expected because every other sentence had to be translated from English to Japanese.  I’ve seen others fail at this and I thought I would excel given my background with Spanish. So there I was, rambling on and my interpreter telling me to slow down.  I was nervous enough just briefing the higher command staff elements of the US and then when the spot light came on and I had to brief both Armies, my presentation skills went out the door.  I started out strong but in the end I failed.  Oh, well, that’s what this exercise is all about.  We need to understand how to communicate effectively with allied armies.

Our military laundry pickup and delivery times are inflexible and don’t work with my work current shift schedule so I had to go off post to get my laundry done. This is a good thing because I was down to my last skivvies.  The temporary military px we have here sells some underwear, socks and t-shirts but I really didn’t want to buy any more of those items.  While my clothes were in the laundry machine, me and one of the guys walked around town and noticed a sushi joint nearby.  Finally!  Oh, one thing to note, the washing machines add laundry detergent automatically to the wash.

We decided to go to the sushi joint right after the laundry was done, which ended up being around 8:30 pm at night.  We walked into the sushi restaurant and it was one of those sushi places that have sushi riding around the tables on conveyor belts.  This was the coolest thing ever!

You just grab a plate and at the end of the meal, you ticket is based on the plate color and amount.  You can also order on a touch pad that has Japanese writing and pictures.  Although the directions were not written in English, we still figured out how to use the device.  The food you order off of this touch pad is then sent to you on an upper conveyor belt.  TOO COOL!!!  We ate until we were stuffed, paid our bill and walked back to the hooch.

Thus ends another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment