Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 4 – Warm start of exercise.

Bummer, rained this morning.  It’s been overcast for most of the day.  I got up early this morning to watch the Green Bay / Chicago game.  The doors were supposed to be open to the MWR tent by 4:00 am.  This by any standards is pretty early, even by Army standards.  The tent was closed and the rain was falling.  The first thing that came to mind was the Foreigner song “Juke Box Hero.”  Standing in the rain, with his head hung low.  Couldn’t get a ticket…. Was a sold out shoe…”  I chalked it up to yet another communications failure.  Eh, no worries.  As I walked back I overheard some other soldiers saying that the time had changed and that the MWR would open at 430 hours.  Ok, so, there might be some hope after all.  I waited by the makeshift PX and then went back to the MWR facility.
The doors were open and soldiers started to go in.  I got to watch the first quarter of the game before I had to go on shift.  Green Bay was winning and it looked like Chicago was more than likely going to lose. 
I was crunched for time and went to the office; only to forget that I needed to drop off my laundry.   Bummer.   The rest of the day went by quickly. 
After the end of the work day, we decided to go out to diner again.  By now others had “reconned” the area and we began swapping stories on where to go eat.  We decided to go to a place that was a modified fondue / Mongolian BBQ place.  The restaurant ended up being a really nice place.  The atmosphere was contemporary Japanese and the clientele were definitely upper middle class.  The booth we sat at had a small BBQ grill in the middle of the table with a smoke stack just above the grill.  I ordered a basic meal which consisted of a variety of meats, veggies, cabbage, rice and soup.   A slight vacuum sucked the smoke from the grill as I put very thin strips of meat on the grill along with my veggies.  I’m surprised we don’t have anything like this at home.  Really cool place and I forgot to take pictures!  Hmmm… Note to myself…  Must go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment