Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 11 - Cruise Control

Our exercise is coming to an end and the friendships we have made will definitely last for quite awhile.  I've updated earlier posts with some photos that I've been wanting to upload.  I have more and I will try to make another page with more pictures.
Continuing on for today... Both Armies have adjusted well and are integrated professionally.  These guys really know their stuff. I've noticed that the Japanese Army pays attention to every detail.  You can see it everywhere you go, starting with the environment.  I've already talked about how the Japanese as a whole are into recycling because its a necessity. The culture here has a "low impact" to nature concept.  Take a look at the pictures below.

The above picture shows me in front of a WWII hanger.  Notice the bonsai sculptured plants.  These things are everywhere.

I complimented one of the soldiers I work with about the beautiful gardens that are here on post.  He then tells me that there is an MOS (military occupational specialty) in the Japanese Army for horticulture.  Well, that makes sense.  It would take an army to keep all of this up! 
Another level of detail is how the tents that we live and work in are set up.  First of all, there are colored guide wires that line up each tent row and column.  Then there are wooden planks (more like path ways or side walks) that wind in 90 degree turns and are perfectly matched. I'm assuming that these are constructed to keep the dust and dirt from entering the tent.  Yes, Duane, tents.  Oh, and did I mention earlier that its COLD here! 

See ya'll soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment